Thursday, July 18, 2013

Ronde de Nice Zucchini



Since my hand pollination efforts at the beginning of the week, it appears that we definitely have one Ronde de Nice zucchini that's been successfully pollinated, and two others have begun to grow, so I think they've been successfully pollinated as well.

There's so many  good resources on hand pollination. This is one resource that I referred to to learn how to pollinate our plants: http://subsistencepatternfoodgarden.blogspot.ca/2009/07/hand-pollination-of-zucchini.html.


The zucchini in the picture above bloomed on July 13th, and by yesterday, July 17th, it looked like this. The blossom is pretty much finished now and the zucchini continues to grow. We'll be picking this one any day now.

This one still has an orange blossom on it. I believe I hand pollinated it on Monday morning, July 15th, and by yesterday it clearly had started to grow.


This zucchini is the same. I hand pollinated it on Monday and it's clearly started to grow. In a couple days, we should know for sure whether it will grow into a zucchini that we can harvest and eat.

Over the last two days, there have been only male blossoms coming out on the plants, but I think in a day or two we'll see more females blooming that we can hand pollinate.










Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment