Tuesday, May 29, 2012

What's In Bloom

 Megan and I are not only gardeners of vegetables, but of flowers too! In fact, our interest in growing really started with our Mom's maintenance of several flower beds around our house and we continue that interest today.

It's amazing to see how different the gardens look from spring to fall! Right now, we're especially seeing a wide array of purple outdoors. The few exceptions are pretty pink peonies which just bloomed yesterday, purple woodspurge, and pinks.


Peonies are among my favourite spring flowers and can  come in a wide array of pinks, reds, and whites. They have such a pleasant scent similar to roses, only I find them much more beautiful than roses. Ours are somewhat late this year, considering my grandmother's came out already a week and a half ago.


Purple woodspurge has a lot of green foliage with pretty little yellow flowers all over it. My sister and I planted this a few years ago when we wanted something that could provide a little more ground cover in one of the beds in our front yard. I love it because it is so woodsy and natural looking!


This variety of pinks is called Candy Floss and it certainly looks like candy floss with its array of pink shades. We purchased this yesterday from our local garden centre to act as a ground cover in our front flower bed.


These pinks (I forget their variety) are more traditional. I love how big the plant is and how it is covered in little flowers. Pinks are wonderful to have as garden borders as they are low lying and cover a lot of ground.


This pretty iris that's purple to almost black is a humongous plant! I think I counted between sixty to seventy flowers and buds on it this year. This flowers have a very rich and deep scent to them as well. We have two other varieties of irises, that are dwarf varieties, one being blue, and the other white. They should be out very soon as well.


Also purchased yesterday is 'Pink Mist' Pincushion flower. They really look like more of a light purple than a pink to me. I'm excited to see how these spread in the coming years. Apparently they will bloom straight until fall which is a bonus.


Taking up much of the garden in our backyard, as this plant takes almost like a weed, is Mountain Bluets. They are really beautiful flowers with purple centers and electric blue petals. You really do need to keep an eye on these or else they could be everywhere in your garden.

Well, perhaps later we'll have more pictures of summer flowers to show you. I know that very soon, our back garden will be bursting with yellow and a few different columbines so we will be sure to post those too.

Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment