Monday, December 12, 2011

Three Sisters Soup


We stored our Musquee de Provence pumpkin in a dark place at room temperature for several weeks, but just a few days ago I noticed some rot starting around the stem so I thought we should use the pumpkin soon. Today I found a perfect use for some of this pumpkin with a soup I've been wanting to try for a long time, "Three Sisters Soup". I first had a soup like this when my sister, dad, and I ate lunch at Sainte-Marie Among the Hurons, a historical site near Midland where French Jesuits settled in their mission to convert the Huron Wendat people. The soup was a medley of squash, beans, and corn, and these vegetables were the main crops of Native North Americans called "the Three Sisters". Here is my recipe and interpretation of it:

2 slices of bacon
3 small onions or 1 very large onion, diced

6 cups cubed musquee de provence pumpkin, or other pumpkin or squash

6 cups frozen kernels of corn

1 can lima beans

1 can black beans

1 can navy beans

1 liter low-sodium chicken stock

water as needed

1 tsp thyme

1 tsp rosemary

2 bay leaves

6 or so pinches of nutmeg

ground black pepper to taste


1. Fry up bacon just until slightly brown and fat is rendered; cut up and add back to pan.

2. Add diced onion and saute on low for several minutes until it starts to caramelize slightly.

3. Add pumpkin, corn, and beans; cover with chicken stock and water (if needed).

4. Add herbs, spice, and seasonings. Gently simmer until the vegetables are tender, but not falling apart, and all the flavours are melded together.


I think that you could use any kind of beans you want, just as long as the squash, corn, and beans are all equal amounts. I like the variation of colour that you get from the green lima beans, black beans, and white navy beans though. With the squash and corn, it certainly amounts to a very colourful and nutritious soup.



Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment