Sunday, September 11, 2011

Pickled Heirloom Tomatoes


I made pickled tomatoes today. The recipe, as I mentioned in my last post, comes from the William-Sonoma cookbook called The Art of Preserving.

I used a combination of Yellow Pear, Cherokee Purple, and Green Zebra tomatoes. Since I was using ripe tomatoes, and a little bit unsure how they will hold together in the pickling process, I kept as many of them whole as I could. Although the jars I used are 1 L jars, the Cherokee Purples were far too big to put them in whole though, so I had to cut them in to chunks.

In total, I ended up with 3 jars. If I really like how they taste and how they hold up over the next few months, I may make more than 3 jars next year.

The combination of apple cider vinegar, dill, pickling spices, garlic, onions, and celery salt definitely smelled appealing! I can't wait to taste them.

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment